section 35

Under Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 123 Section 35, a spouse, blood relative, guardian, police officer, physician or court official can petition the court to involuntarily commit someone who has an alcohol or substance use disorder and there is a likelihood of serious harm as a result of his/her alcohol or substance abuse.
We know it is difficult to consider a Section 35 for your loved one and appreciate it is not an easy decision. You have likely arrived at this crossroad after many sleepless nights, numerous hours of worry, endless pleading with your loved one to stop using substances, and hearing several of his or her broken promises to make a change. Whether this is the first or fifth time you are petitioning the court for a Section 35, we want to ensure that you have information and support throughout the process.

Pin It on Pinterest